This page is a work in progress.
The club first opened it's doors in 1938 as a social club for the miners and their families of the nearby pit - the Hamstead colliery. It then featured a bowling green, pavilion, tennis courts and a football pitch. The club also boasted a very successful football team, called the Hamstead Miners. They played in the Sunday Festival League and their successes include winning the Festival League, the Senior cup and the Ernie Baxter club.
Sadly the tennis courts and football pitch were sold off in 19??.
We would be grateful to any of our members who can furnish accurate information regarding the history of the Hamstead Social Club